Tuesday, May 13, 2008

tangents





i'm guilty of so many detours this semester. supposedly that's what the first year is for- hairbrain ideas that may or (most likely) may not work. i got straight up bored with collaging different elements (representational/ abstract, symbolic/ arbitrary, personal/ universal, funny/ pretty/ ugly) in my hodgepodgey watercolors that i wanted to try to make one iconic image that qualified for all of those things. and i was done done done with heads during this period. so i made these fluid acrylic paintings on 5ft yupo; they're solitary fleshy pods, knubs, grafts, etc. the response i got was mixed. one dude said the claims of my work being whimsical and illustrative must have gotten under my skin because i went from fantasy to cold hard boring facts. like him, most people just yearned for the days of my watercolors, but there were few supporters. now i'm hoping to reconcile my tangents because it's high time i get down to bizness.

4 comments:

Nations said...

chelsea, hi. i need to talk to you about watercolor pencils so i can buy for kris whatever pencils you discussed. he was really inspired by your conversation. email me! plus, this way, we can be better friends. volando.ire@gmail.com

KRISTIN said...

I wish I could see these in person. I love that these paintings are just about painting...and then there's something else.
Mike said you should put an old-timey mustache on them. It's a thought.
I don't really look at these and say "thats a chelsea"...but who knows what that really means.

brighton quinn said...

Chelsea- these are skilled works of art, no doubt and I kind of like them but they kind of make me uneasy. Maybe it is because you used such words as "fleshy" and "nubs" to describe them, side by side nonetheless. Uncomfortable words indeed skilled painter you are no doubt. Keeping bloggin por favor.

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

it was so so good to talk to you the other day...and i am excited that we will get to see you in the not too distant future.

keep showing us all your amazing work in this blog! more! more!

p.s. do these fleshy pods have any veins or pores or anything up close? just wondering. (i guess i sort of hope that they do, because that would make them even more awesome in a slightly grotesque sort of way.)